KOMPAS.com – UNESCO has just released its latest 2023 list of World Heritage Sites. The list was announced at the 45th World Heritage Committee meeting which took place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, from Sunday (10/9/2023) to Monday (25/9/2023).
“The newest site to be included in the UNESCO World Heritage List was released starting Saturday (16/9/2023),” read a statement from UNESCO’s official website, Monday (18/9/2023).
The world heritage site was announced on Saturday (16/9/2023) and Sunday (17/9/2023).
As of Monday (18/9/2023), there were 19 new sites, and two of them came from the Southeast Asia (ASEAN) region, namely from Cambodia and Vietnam. Here are the details:
UNESCO World Heritage Site List 2023 as of 16 September
- Volcanoes and Forests of Mount Pelée and the Pitons of Northern Martinique, France
- Ha Long Bay–Cat Ba Archipelago, Vietnam
- Andrefana Dry Forests, Madagascar
- Forest Massif of Odzala-Kokoua, Congo
Also read: 10 Indonesian Geoparks Recognized by UNESCO
Dock. Wikimedia Commons/Timothyvail
Illustration of the Tumuli Style in South Korea which is on the UNESCO world heritage list.
UNESCO World Heritage Site List 2023 as of 17 September
- Old town of Kuldīga, Latvia
- Jewish-Medieval Heritage of Erfurt, Germany
- Viking-Age Ring Fortresses, Denmark
- Tr’ondëk-Klondike, Canada
- The Persian Caravanserai, Iran
- Santiniketan, India
- Cultural Landscape of Old Tea Forests of the Jingmai Mountain in Pu’er, China
- Tumuli style, South Korea
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites of Bronze Age, Mongolia
- Koh Ker: Archaeological Site of Ancient Lingapura or Chok Gargyar, Cambodia
- Koutammakou, the Land of the Batammariba, Benin, Togo
- The Gedeo Cultural Landscape, Ethiopia
- Hyrcanian Forests, Azerbaijan, Iran
- Silk Roads: Zarafshan-Karakum Corridor, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- Ancient Jericho/Tell es-Sultan, Palestine
Also read: Venice is planned to be included in UNESCO’s Endangered List
Get updates selected news And breaking news every day from Kompas.com. Come join the Telegram Group “Kompas.com News Update”, click the link https://t.me/kompascomupdate, then join. You must install the Telegram application first on your cellphone.